Catching up - Part 2: 20 years in the making

I've always loved a Pajero! I can remember spending weekends with my best mate as a kid riding into town and going through all the dealerships checking out the latest stock and daydreaming - we even had a pretty good shtick going (well, we thought it was convincing - looking back it's a bit embarrassing really - I'm just glad we are thousands of km away now) we were sons of rich parents looking to see what car we wanted for our birthday... what losers...

Anyway - i can distinctly remember the first time I saw the NL Pajero - with those fantastic blisters on the sides, coated in that beautiful metallic teal/grey two tone paintwork... I wanted one!

Well fast forward 20 years, I've had a few Falcons, a commodore, two 1985 626's, corollas, a rodeo, and currently a Forester - but never a pajero, the closest I've came is a V8 Disco - every time we got a car it was thinking "we cant afford x, but y will last us a few years and we might be able to then"

Last year we decided the forester is just not big enough for us, and although the plan was to put a lift kit etc, i never really could see it being a good traveller - just too thirsty and sluggish! So Dad decided to start stalking manheims looking for repairable write-offs, just about every night id be shown the ipad and have to convince him that no we will keep looking - i was happy with any 6+ seat wagon really, my only demands were: 4wd, Diesel, Manual, and nearby so we can look it over before putting a bid in... Preferably in white or silver for my work signage - maybe a lightish teal/blue/green at a stretch.

Well one night he shows me a pajero - NK - front ender - V6 - Auto - Maroon - 1600km away... ALL BLACKS STICKERS??????

Nup not happening!

Next day: Oh I put a bid in and won!

...

Anyway, that's the basic story of how i got my pajero - here are the photos from the auction listing.








Next post: Getting her home!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catching up - Part 4: What needs doing

Catching up - Part 3: Getting her home